On Friday 4th November 2011, SAFA visited the Atteridgeville Soccer stadium for the match between Spartak and Pheli Pace Setters, and tested new biometric fingerprint devices for player registration, using the SAFA-ONLINE Sports Management System developed by Intoweb. The system can register new players and interact with the main SAFA-ONLINE server with incredibly fast speeds which was proven when using only a 3G connection and 40 players were registered in 30 minutes.
SAFA hopes in future this system will help to curb fraudulent player registration, as at times players register for two clubs and it is difficult to monitor and prevent such actions when the player presents false ID books. By using the fingerprints of players, it is possible to be sure that a player cannot be registered for more than one club.
Another challenge SAFA encounters, are when players which to play for a team where they do not qualify, such as the under 19 national team. Some players present their younger brothers ID book or falsified papers to register, while they are older than 19 years. Using fingerprint scanning, we are able to obtain information such as age of prominent players at a young age, which will help curb the player trying to pretend to be younger.
Other international sports management systems have been checked and it seems that SAFA is creating a world leading system as other international systems do not provide any biometric verification systems. When FIFA was asked about how it is done in Europe, they replied that it is done on the honesty system!
The system is still in the testing phase, and it is hoped to pilot the system in Gauteng in December or January next year. SAFA aims to lead the entire world with ground breaking innovations.
Intoweb has created a Sports Management System for SAFA, incorporating the following:
The MorphoSmart™ 300 Series — or MSO 300 Series — is a family of high-end optical sensors. It is based on Morpho’s 25-year experience, in the fields of electro-optics and forensic quality fingerprint processing algorithms. The MSO 300 Series covers a wide range of applications: enrollment, authentication and identification in industrial/ commercial and governmental environments.
A world of advantages in a compact design
- Excellent fingerprint capture and processing performance with the largest sensor on the market (23x23mm, 500 dpi),
- authentication < 0.7 sec (including detection, encoding and matching)
- identification < 0.9 sec in 1:1000 mode (including detection, encoding and matching)
- top grade solution to register young or elderly people, manual
- laborers (mining, textile)
- Overall performance certified at the highest levels , that meets and exceeds requirements of: FIPS 201, the FBI’s PIV-IQS, the BSI* and the NIST’s MINEX.
- Accurate: the false acceptance rate (FAR) is configurable down to 10 -8 , depending on the security requirements
- One of the largest database capacities on the market: from 500 users to 5000 with the IdentPlus license.
- A versatile terminal that carries out both enrollment and comparison operations
- The MSO 300 guides the user and automatically controls the image quality during enrollment
- Choice of fingerprint template formats: AANSI/INCITS 378, ISO 19794-2 or Morpho proprietary.
- CE, FCC15 compliant